ECOS is a non-profit organisation working to promote environmental aspects in the development of standards and specifications at European and international level, especially those produced in support of EU environmental laws and policies. Our goal is to ensure that standardisation contributes to a sustainable economy and, in some cases, allows for the proper and effective implementation of European legislation.
More specifically, ECOS objectives are to:
- represent European environmental NGOs in technical development and decision-making processes related to standards and technical regulations for products and services;
- co-operate with the European Commission, the European Standardisation Organisations (CEN, CENELEC and ETSI), the International Standardization Organizations (ISO and IEC) and other relevant stakeholders on these matters;
- assess the quality of these processes and related deliverables and discuss with the EU institutions how they can be improved, especially with respect to transparency and civil society representation and participation in the European standardisation system;
- contribute to the uptake of and information on sustainable products and activities;
- disseminate information on standardisation developments, our activities and achievements among environmental NGOs and support national NGOs in their involvement in standardisation;
- promote the active support of environmental organisations to our activities.